The Mission, Vision, Values and roles of SUNGO
Samoa has a competent and confident civil society sector that promotes sustainable development
and quality of life for the people of Samoa.
To deliver capacity building research, opportunities, information, sharing, advocacy and support for
civil society in Samoa.
- Accountable and Transparent
- Equal opportunities for all
- Mutual respect: integrity, acceptance and tolerance of the diversity of members and views
- Community empowerment and ownership
- Acknowledge the worth of volunteers and stakeholders
- Gender equity
- Inclusion and support for the disabled, the disadvantaged and the marginalised
- Peace and harmony
- Encourage and promote environmentally friendly practices
- People centred
- Sensitive to spiritual and cultural values
SUNGO is a Not for Profit Organisation and Incorporated Society with a Constitution approved by its
membership. It is a nationally registered NGO (Non Government Organisation). SUNGO has a direct
community focus with a membership based on both urban and rural civil society organisations
across Samoa. Membership includes community organisations, village based organisations,
sporting bodies, and church organisations.
Our specific roles are to:
- Develop and enhance cooperation and networking among national NGOs/CSOs.
- Develop strong links between national, regional and international NGOs/CSOs.
- Facilitate the transfer of information and materials useful for NGO/CSO members.
- Support the development efforts of member NGOs/CSOs to achieve their goals.
- Liaise with Government and other agencies on policies and issues affecting civil society and
- Advocate and propose policies on cross cutting issues such as human rights, gender, disability,
environment, sustainable development, and HIV/AIDS/STI.
- Protect the interests of member NGOs/CSOs and promote the sharing of information and
resources amongst members.
- Implement programmes to enhance the development of member NGOs/CSOs.
- Promote research to provide support and evidence for the development of the civil society
SUNGO Trainers receiving their certificates
Village outreach by staff