SUNGO 14th AGM Feb 2012
Venue: STA Fale Matagialalua
Starting Time: 9.20am
Attendance: 35 member organisations, 26 financial and 9 non financial members. Also acknowledge the presence of SUNGO observes. Refer to Annex 1 for details.
Apologies sent – EFKS Vaipua
Executive Council Updates
EC Members Present: Vaasiliifiti M Jackson (President), Raymond Voigt (Treasurer), Seumanuula Moana Clarke (Secretary), Board Members: Namulauulu N Potoi, Mailo Pesamino, Rev Reupena Leau
Absent: Afoa Mauli, Rev Maiseli Matamu, Ropati Mualia.
Vacant Seats: V President (Ioane Iosefo), Board Member (Elisa Williams)
Nynette resigned from the board and was replaced by Afoa. Ioane Iosefo stepped down and left the seat vacant. Elisa’s seat remained vacant when she withdrew.
SUNGO Staff Updates
All Staff were present, Madam CEO Roina Vavatau, Administration Manager Tina Tauvela Pesaleli, Capacity Building Coordinator Ofusina Ieremia, Finance Officer Unijohn Avei, ICTP Officer Lote Lima, Admin Assistant Emanuele Taupau and Volunteer Nive. (6 Staff members and a volunteer)
KEY AGENDA ITEMS
- Welcome and Official Opening
Members were called to be seated and were officially welcome by Mailo Pesamino the Master of Ceremony (MC).
Opening Prayer Ceremony: Conducted by Rev Feterika Motu
Key Message: SUNGO is meeting here for a Kingly banquet. The get together is a feast celebrating this key milestone of positive developments for the people of Samoa. This is SUNGOs contribution to the 50th Independence Celebration of Samoa. Congratulations SUNGO and let and give glory to God. EFKS Song #92 – Faafetai i Le Atua.
MC Mailo Sio Pesamino thanked Rev. Feterika Motu for representing SUNGOs celebration of achievements to the God Almighty.
MC Mailo Pesamino greeted Madam President Vaasiliifiti Moelagi Jackson and invited her to lead the AGM’s Agenda following her final speech as President of SUNGO for 2 consecutive terms.
- 2. Minutes of 2009-10 were tabled for Members to approve and raise matter arising from minutes.
Madam President Vaasiliifiti called for a motion for minutes to be discussed, moved by Maauga Motu of Samoa Council of Churches, seconded by Unasa Peau of SOA’A.
Minutes confirmed for discussions. There were no matters arising from Minutes.
Tafua Breda moved motion for minutes to be passed, seconded by Unasa Peau, Minutes 2009-10 confirmed.
- 3. President’s Report:
Vaasili introduced members of SUNGO Executive Council and informed members that the Vice President position has been vacant for the last 8 months.
She also reminded members that SUNGO Vision has changed. This was discussed and approved during the Members Meeting Forum in 2010 by members.
Informed members on the challenges faced by SUNGO in this financial year were tough. This was presented on a pictorial presentation. The following were the key highlights;
- Eviction from Government House at Motootua - December, 2010
- Finding an office space to continue office operations and a Land, - December, 2010
- Radio-thon fundraising achieved $24,512.90 to help the relocation.
- Relocation to New Office at Vaitele Tai, 2011
- Looking at SUNGOs financial position to determine future (SUNGO Board retreat)
- Cessation of NZAid Core Funding, June 2011
- Office Rearrangements – July - August, 2011
- Negotiations under CSSP Funding Arrangement – Signed Contract, August 2011.
Comments from members
Tagaloa stated that SUNGO was founded to support its member’s organisations especially weak organisation – O le SUNGO na faatu mo Sosaiete Tumaoti. Acknowledge the tireless efforts of the EC members with putting up with challenges faced by the Headquarters. SUNGO should now focus on its members and see how it can help to build weak organisations.
Faafetai ua maua se fanua e fai ai galuega a le Ofisa, ae manatua, O le laumua lea o le atunuu, ae le o le SUNGO. Ia tatau ona faamuamua faalapotopotoga tumaoti uma taitasi. Mo leisi board lea laa tulai mai, e tatau ona faaola faalapotopotoga tumaoti laiti ma vaivai. Faafetai foi ua aveese tupe a NZ, ae maua mai isi faatupega.
O le SUNGO e mo le atunuu, faamanuia le Atua I le Nofoaiga Fou. Mo leisi vaega fou, ia outou faia nisi mea e sili atu.
MC Mailo acknowledged Tagaloa’s comments. There were no further comments from the floor. Members agreed to comments made by Tagaloa and well supported by the Executive Council.
- Financial Report of National Treasurer Raymond Voigt – retrieve from report
Tagaloa made a comment on the non current Assets vs Liabilities in regards to simplify its meaning during presentation for members to understand it easily.
Financial Report moved by Rev Ruperake to be approved, all members confirmed. Financial Report Approved
- 5. Election of EC Members
- 7 Members were nominated, Vaasili is not eligible as she completed 2 consecutive terms, Daryl Clarke of Cancer Society was not present which left Namulauulu Dr. Nuualofa Potoi of Gataula Primary Health Care, Rev Reupena Leau of PIU Community, Rev Semisi Esera of Voice of Christ, Papalii Viopapa Annandale of PPSEAWA and Seumanuula Moana Clarke of Animal Protection Society. 4 members out of the five withdrew their nominations. Seumanuula of Animal Protection accepted her nomination uncontested and became SUNGOs National President 2011-13.
- 4 members were nominated. One of the nominations was the reigning President, Seumanuula M Clarke. The other nomination was the Immediate Past President Vaasiliifiti M Jackson of Faasao Savaii. Raymond Voigt of BASI was the other nomination which he withdrew and Mailo Pesamino of Vaiusu Catholic Youth was the last nomination. Vice President was contested between Immediate Past President Vaasiliifiti and current SUNGO Board Member Mailo. As a result, Vaasiliifiti won 17 votes, Mailo 7 votes. Vaasiliifiti M Jackson became the new Vice President 2011-13
- 6 nominations were valid, Frances Schuster of Mapusaga O Aiga and Daryl Clarke of Cancer Society were not present. Seumanuula M Clarke’s nomination is not valid as she is now the reigning President. Rev Semisi and Namulauulu Dr N Potoi withdrew their nominations. Lia’i Iosefa of Samoa Family Health Association was the last nomination standing. She accepted her nomination as the new National Secretary for SUNGO uncontested for 2011-2013.
- 5 Nominations were tabled, Ainsof Soo of Rotaract and Papalii Grant of SAME were not present, Namulauulu Dr Nuualofa Potoi and Rev Semisi Esera withdrew their nominations. Raymond Voigt of BASI who held the position in the last consecutive year as National Treasurer was left standing and was reappointed for the National Treasurer position uncontested for 2011-13.
Board Members (7 seats)
28 Nominations were tabled, 9 are non financials and therefore not entitled to be in the voting system. 4 have already been elected in the posts of Office Bearers positions above. 7 were not present. Rev Ruperake Petaia of Aufaifaatoaga Laiti, Aleisa and Papalii Viopapa Annandale withdrew their nominations. There were 2 nominated representatives from Taulasea Samoa but only one nomination was accepted which was the first nomination. This first representative for Taulasea was Saumalu Saufoi. Overall, only 6 representatives were qualified for nomination. They include the following people;
Name of Organisations
Tafua Breda Tipi-Tufuga
Rev. Reupena Leau
Mailo Sio Pesamino
Namulauulu Dr. Nuualofa Potoi
Samoa Aids Foundation
The organisation of nominations was not done properly due to the coordination of nominations by members. The reasons for poor coordination involve;
- Members whom have made nominations for the preferred person they’ve wanted had found out during the AGM that their nominated person’s organisation does not have a financial status.
- The presence of persons nominated did not attend the Annual General Meeting.
- Some withdrew their nominations.
- The repeated nominations of persons who have already been elected in the Office Bearers positions.
Therefore there were not enough nominations to be contested in the voting system. The automatic election of the 6 board members was in favour of the members present. The 6 representative met all the criteria directed by constitution to become a board member. These include their financial status, agreeing by signing the nominations and their presence in the AGM meeting.
There were still other issues that needed to be dealt with. It was the one vacant board member position to be filled and also the 3 reserve member’s positions in case any of the 7 decides to resign or removed from board if unable to fulfil their duties and responsibilities as board members.
A constitution was not present to refer to the next actions to fully achieve the election of 11 EC members with at least 3 reserves for Board members. A motion was moved by the reigning board that there is nothing more powerful than overthrowing an agreement posed by members on this day. They further stated that there is no better forum like this for members to agree in principle on whatever actions that needs to be taken to tackle the issues raised. Members agreed in principle that it will practise its power to govern and account for its actions in dealing with the standing issue. It was further noted that it will be challenging to acquire a similar meeting with a valid forum at another time to vote the remaining board members needed for the EC members. It will be costly for the organisation and also inconvenient
Members Agreed and the resolutions were;
Nominate at least 4 people in the audience for votes of the last official board member and the other 3 as reserves. The floor was then open for nominations;
- Annie Laumea of MAFUTA nominated Tuala Ponifasio of NOLA
- Namulauulu nominated Solomona Hafoka of Sosaiete asi Meamativa
- Vaasiliifiti nominated Rev Feterika Motu of Courier of Samoa
- A member from the Komiti Tina Salani nominated Unasa Peau of SOA’A
- The results of the voting were,
- Tuala Ponifasio was voted in by 17 members and became the last official board member to be in the current Executive Council.
- The Reserves were; Solomona Hafoka (6), Rev Feterika (3) and Unasa Peau (2)
- 6. Workplan and budget
Seumanuula tabled these documents for member’s information. There were no discussions. Rev Semisi moved motion for Workplan and budget to be approved, seconded by Tafua Breda Faitua. Members approved the Workplan and budget 2011-2012.
The newly and reigning National President Seumanuula Moana Clarke thanked all the members for the trust and faith in her to be the next SUNGO President. She acknowledged Vaasiliifiti with all the hard work that she has dedicated to SUNGO in the last 2 terms she served as President. Moana admitted that she is in it for a challenge because the bar is set too high by the Outgoing EC and for her there are big shoes to be filled. Seumanuula further reassured the SUNGO members that SUNGO will continue to move forward from where it is now.
Meeting ended at 1pm.
Annex 1: Registration Lists of Members
Name of Organisations Full Name of Participants
- Animal Protection Society - Seumanuula Moana Clarke
Fale Neemia Smith
- Asosi Taulasea Samoa - Saumalu Saufoi
- Atinae TauAtiae- Samatau - Fololina Te’o
- Beekeepers Assoc of SAMOA Raymond C Voigt
- Courier of Samoa - Rev Feterika Motu
- Faalapotopotoga Aufaifaatoaga Laiti - Mary Petaia
Rev Ruperake Petaia
- Faasao Savaii Society Vaasiliifiti Moelagi Jackson
- Failafumanu Puleono o Salafai - Matalena Matamua
- Faalapotopotoga o Atinae mo le Soifua Tumua Aviata
Fusi Saoluafata - Savea L Solofa
- Gataula Primary Health Care - Namulauulu Dr N Potoi
11.Goshen Trust - Tafua Breda Faitua
12.Independent Water Schemes Assoc - Morwenna Petaia
13.Komiti Tina Salani - Malae Falanaipupu
14.MAFUTA Avele - Tavui Anne Laumea
15.Nuanua O Le Alofa - Tuala Ponifasio
16.PIU Community Development - Italia Leau
Rev. Reupena Leau
17.PPSEAWA Alaifea Sua
Papalii Dr. Vio Annandale
18.Samoa Aids Foundation - Resitara Apa
19.Samoa Assoc for H/Rights & Laws - Tuala Ponifasio
20.Samoa Hotel Association - Litia Brighouse
21.Samoa Family Health Association - Lia’i Iosefa
22.SENESE Brittania M Talaepe
23.Sosaiete o Atinae o Aiga, Faga - Unasa Peau
24.Vaiusu Catholic Community - Mailo Sio
25.Komiti Tina Vaisuamumu Manono - Tuaina Mau
26.VOC Women & Youth Fellowship - Rev Semisi Lafi Esera
- Falemauga Community - Vaasiliena B. Porter
- Komiti Suavai Nuusuatia - Saimasi Suataga Aso
- Mafutaga Tina Katoliko - Imeleta Iosefa
- Samoa United Nations Assoc - Le Tagaloa Pita
- Samoa Victim Support Group - Tumua Tofele
- Sosaiete si meamativa - Solomona Hafoka
- Tagiilima Handicraft - Francis Lino
- Tu ma Aga Faamatai Assoc - Le Tagaloa Pita
- EFKS Youth Vavau - Rev. Alesana Fa’asasalu Alesana
CSSP - Leiataualesa Kilali
CSSP - Alanna Seugamatupu
Heather Tannock - APTC
Francis Howes - APTC
Mariah Wilkinson - APTC
I, the National Secretary of SUNGO Liai Siitia Iosefo sign and adopt the SUNGO Annual General Meeting Minutes 2011 for information, discussion and matters arising.
Name: Liai Siitia
Position: National Secretary
Date: 1st February 2012